Sunday, May 10, 2015

a beautiful home ~ and a quiet Mother's Day

 Yesterday afternoon I drove into Chicago to attend my VFF's (Very First Friend ~ we met when were were barely 4 years old!) girlfriend's dinner. I left my house a little early so that I could do some shopping and sight-seeing in the city, but traffic going down there was worse than anticipated, so I didn't end up with much time to look around. Driving down Clark St. in this certain section of Chicago, I saw so many stores that I would've loved to browse in. I found a parking space, got out of my car, and it was like my head was on a swivel. So many cool looking stores and cafes on corners and good smells coming out of restaurants. This area is definitely on my day trip list. I only had time to go into one store - a huge resale shop where I found some great treasures! I'll save that for another post.

In the meantime, I wanted to share some of my friend's house with you. I've talked about Cin on my blog before and showed some photos of her house, but each time I visit there are different vignettes depending on the season. I love her house. It's warm, inviting, beautiful and charming. Just like she is. By the way, Cin is a professional poet. If you're interested in taking a look at her web site and what she does, click here.


 How I would love to have windows like this in my house! Look closely at the arrangement on the buffet. Cin incorporated her son's Lego creations into the vignette. :-)


The table is beautifully set for our dinner. More details in this room I love: the original light fixture and the built-in china cabinet (little bit showing on the left).


Part of the charming kitchen. There's a chalkboard wall to the right with the door to the basement and then a recessed nook where the fridge is.


Open shelving on the kitchen wall...


Standing in the kitchen looking the other way... great space for Cin's little guy to play while she's preparing a meal. I love the brick floor and the wood ceiling. 
 

It was a quiet day here for Mother's Day. Brian doesn't cook, so instead of making me breakfast, he went to Panera to get me an egg souffle. He texted me to let me know the line was out the door! Poor guy waited in that long line only to find out that the souffles were all gone. He was off to work a couple of hours after that. Tim had to work today too, so the day was spent by myself. It was cold and rainy and just generally yucky today, so I took a long, hot bath, did some yoga, read a little bit, did housework and puttered and organized, then treated myself to Chinese food for dinner. Haven't had that in ages. It was really good, but my tummy felt yucky afterwards. I'm not used to eating heavy, greasy food. After my stomach was settled a bit, I took a walk around my neighborhood for some fresh air and exercise. I also called my mama to wish her a Happy Mother's Day and to have a chat. We'll be seeing her in person later this week.

Mother's Day is hard for a lot of people...for those who have lost a child, such as myself; or have lost their mom; or for those who have lost their wife/mother of their children. A male friend of mine who lost his 36-year old wife about eight years ago to cancer, posted on Facebook yesterday that he hates Mother's Day. When his wife died, she left behind their six small children. On top of it, he also lost his mother to suicide many years ago. So I can totally understand why he feels the way he does. If you're so inclined, click here to read a wonderful article ~ "For Those Who Hurt on Mother's Day".

My beautiful boys...Philip Thomas (forever 21...you can read my dedication to Phil at the top of my page) and Timothy David.

 

12 comments:

  1. Remembering you in a very special way on this Mother's Day.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend does have a lovely home and those windows... very pretty. I'm glad you were able to relax yesterday. I don't eat Chinese food often, but when I do, my stomach reacts the same way. Have a blessed week, my friend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day to you, Melanie. Your friend has such a nice, eclectic home. I've enjoyed photos you've shared before too. I'm glad you had a relaxing day yesterday. I read that same article you shared. I have certain issues with the holiday myself, having to do with a very difficult relationship in my life, but I have wonderful children of my own and a very kind mother-in-law, and that helps a lot. I know yesterday must have been challenging for you but I hope you know how much you are loved by your family. You are a wonderful mom, wife and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cin's home is beautiful. It reminds me of her mother, except more creative.

    You are a good mother and I so remember how you influenced your little ones with creative stuff like a carousel in middle of table with paper, art supplies and tons of legos and other wonderful toys. AND, your house was always in order. Could never figure out how you did that!!

    I hope to see you Thursday and then soon we must hit Clark Street in the city. Sounds exciting. A few years ago a friend of mine accompanied me to Clark Street. We got very lost and by the time we found Clark, half the day was gone. We had an amazing lunch at a sidewalk café with butterflies, birds and honking horns!! There was no time left for shopping.
    Mom
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you made the best out of the day. I used to love Mothers Day, but having lost my MIL some years ago and not being a mother myself I find it hard, but we do our best for my Mum of course! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you were able to have a quiet day. It is a difficult day for so many people. I do love those windows, and what a cozy house. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read your dedication to Phil. It was very sweet and touching. I can't imagine how bittersweet Mother's Day must be for you. I'm so glad you were able to get away to your friend's house the day before and that you were able to make the best of your quiet day at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the windows looks amazing. I too love to have them but we have a very small window in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ((((Melanie))))

    Your friend's home is absolutely enchanting - filled with warmth and her love and I thank you for sharing. And for sharing of yourself - your thoughts and heart. May God Bless you and your beautiful sons here and in heaven forever and ever. Amen.

    Love always,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your friends home...looks just lovely with the light streaming in. Would love to have a set of windows like that : )

    Had working sons this M Day as well so I went in to the vintage mall and subbed for a dealer so he could go to a picnic for his gram. Every year's different. Didn't go out to my Mom's with her gift yet as I am waiting for a day when I can take my grandson.

    My DIL had a baby that died so M Day is bittersweet for her. May is hard as that is the baby's birthday month. And I know from prior reading here how hard it's been for you...I am so sorry. I think it must just be like a constant dull ache that sometimes wells up into a fresh flood of sharp pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought of you last week-end, knowing it must be a bitter sweet day for you, because I guess both your sons are on your mind on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your friend's home. She has my sink :)

    I'm sorry you were alone on Mother's Day. If I lived by you, I would have come over for a chat and hugged you.

    (((hugs)))
    rue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!